Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mason Jar I-Spy Kit


A few years ago I was shopping with a friend who was buying one of these brand name I-Spy kits in a toy store. At the time it was the first I'd ever seen but thought it was pretty neat. Years later, I've finally gotten around to making one that I like much better than one you'd spend about 20 dollars on at the store. 

Supplies Needed
  • Mason Jar
  • White Rice
  • Watercolor Paint
  • Snack Ziplocs
  • Small items to hide
  • Mod Podge
  • Hot Glue


    1. Mason Jar - I bought the largest one I could find and it came from Michael's for a few bucks.

    2. Color Rice - I put 1/2 cup of rice in each bag and put a few tablespoons of Liquid Watercolor in each. Give the bag a good shake until the rice is the color you want and let it sit for 30 minutes so that the rice can fully absorb the color. The set of paint that I used came in a set of a dozen different colors and I used about 8 of the colors.




    3. Pour rice out on a cookie sheet and let it sit out for a few hours to completely dry out.


    4. While the rice is drying, gather the items you plan to put in the rice. Being here on the coast, I tried to make it as relevant to the area as I could. I got tees, pencils, and a ball marker from Sea Island along with some starfish, fishing bobber, and a sharks tooth. It's also a good idea to raid the bottom of a toy chest to get all the small things that have settled.


    5Pour all the rice in the jar to make sure you've got about an inch head space at the top. Make more rice to get to that level if you need to.

    6. Begin putting the rice in 1/2 cup at a time and then a layer of a few of your items. Space them out putting some in the middle and outside and follow with another level of rice. Continue until you've reached the top.

    7. Place the lid on the jar and give it a few turns. The less rice you use, the easier, it will be to find the items. I wanted to make mine pretty challenging so I ended up adding more rice in the end.

    8I wanted to include a list of the items that were in the jar and went with putting it on the lid. I found a website that lets you type in a spiral and printed it on colored paper. I then mod podged it to the lid using the glossy finish and continued putting layers on till I was happy with it.



    9Place the lid on the jar and put a layer of hot glue around the inside of the rim and close as tight as you can.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment